- Short Circuit FinderPosted 3 years ago
What Could Cause A Transformer To Burn?
Whether you are dealing with Linear or Switch Mode Power Transformer, I’m sure you have came across a burnt transformer before. The question is, what could have cause the transformer to burn (shorted primary winding, bad smell from transformer internal parts, open primary or secondary winding and etc)? From my experience, below are some of the possible causes:
1) Lightning strike
2) Power Supply Design fault
3) Low quality of the transformer used
4) Shorted components in corresponding circuit (primary side)
5) Shorted components in the secondary side
6) Decayed glue used in surrounding circuit.
If you know of any other way that could cause a transformer to burn please share your comment -thanks!