- Error Loading Operating System Problem SolvedPosted 392 days ago
- How I clean/restore Audio FadersPosted 406 days ago
- Trick For Testing SMD ComponentsPosted 461 days ago
- Another Zener Diode Tester Was BuiltPosted 625 days ago
- Zener Diode TesterPosted 715 days ago
- Repaired An Electronic Welding Inverter. Model: Selco Genesis 140Posted 718 days ago
- Building Your Own RF Field Strength MeterPosted 725 days ago
- Repairing LED FloodLightPosted 736 days ago
- Zener Diode TesterPosted 867 days ago
Unstable Crystal Oscillator
Do you know that the crystal oscillator use in the electronic circuit board could become unstable or have problem when it gets hot? It could also cause intermittent problem and shutdown the function of microprocessor in electronic equipment. Problems like missing On screen display (OSD) in Monitor, intermittent appearance of the OSD, Computer motherboard “hang” and etc are just some of the problem cause by defective crystal.
As for the crystal problem when it gets hot, in fact you can use the hair blower to point at the crystal and observe the problem. Although we rarely replace crystal in electronic equipment, this doesn’t mean that you don’t need to check on the crystal. Get the same frequency value and replace and retest the set again. If you have the crystal tester or checker, then it would be easy for you to test out the crystal. In some digital meter, there are also a feature to test the crystal frequency while it is operating. If you get the exact frequency then you know the crystal is working fine and if the result is different from the value printed on the crystal body then get a replacement. The picture shown above is a 4 Mega hertz Crystal Oscillator.