- How I clean/restore Audio FadersPosted 3 days ago
- Trick For Testing SMD ComponentsPosted 59 days ago
- Another Zener Diode Tester Was BuiltPosted 223 days ago
- Zener Diode TesterPosted 313 days ago
- Repaired An Electronic Welding Inverter. Model: Selco Genesis 140Posted 316 days ago
- Building Your Own RF Field Strength MeterPosted 323 days ago
- Repairing LED FloodLightPosted 334 days ago
- Zener Diode TesterPosted 464 days ago
The Function Of A Bleeder Resistor In Electronic Circuit
A bleeder resistor is a resistor that connected across the outputs of the power supply. Some designs use bleeder resistors and some designs have no bleeder resistors in it. The function of bleeder resistors in the circuit is to discharge the filter capacitors as a safety measure whenever the power is switched off and to improve the voltage regulation by providing a minimum load resistance.
In certain 17″ Monitor Flyback transformer you can find a bleeder resistor parallel with the internal capacitor. In order to measure the bleeder resistor in the flyback you must have a meter that can measure up to several hundred megaohms. In a 14 and 15″ Monitor, the flyback divider besides act as control for the screen (G2) and focus, it also act as a bleeder resistor. That’s why, whenever a Monitor is turned off the high voltage charge in the internal capacitor in flyback transformer is quickly discharge by the flyback divider resistance. If you repair power supply, a burned out bleeder resistor is very dangerous because the capacitor still hold the charge!