- Error Loading Operating System Problem SolvedPosted 207 days ago
- How I clean/restore Audio FadersPosted 220 days ago
- Trick For Testing SMD ComponentsPosted 276 days ago
- Another Zener Diode Tester Was BuiltPosted 440 days ago
- Zener Diode TesterPosted 530 days ago
- Repaired An Electronic Welding Inverter. Model: Selco Genesis 140Posted 533 days ago
- Building Your Own RF Field Strength MeterPosted 540 days ago
- Repairing LED FloodLightPosted 551 days ago
- Zener Diode TesterPosted 681 days ago
Testing Electronic Components On Board
I got a question from a fellow ERG member that ask whether we can test all electronic components on board or not. That means no need to remove the components and directly test it with meter. My answer to him was “It depends on what type of components you wanted to test” but the reality is that we can’t test all electronic components on board. I told him that yes you can test an electrolytic capacitor on board with an ESR meter but you can’t test a non polar cap on board using Digital capacitance meter.
Yes of course in some cases you can test the non polar cap on board but most of the time it was not accurate when you test it on board using the digital capacitance meter. Even in resistors too, if you have experience in electronic repair you would know if a resistor value is good or bad if you test in on board but somehow i prefer to test resistor off board which i found it to be more accurate than checking it on board.
Similarly i have a question whether i can use the blue ring tester to test the primary winding of flyback transformer on board or not. If you are a seasoned electronic repairer then i guess you have no problem using that meter to test the winding on board because from your many repair experience you already should know how was the reading like. However if you are a beginner i suggest that you test it off board be it in flyback transformer or any other electronic components because as time past you will surely know as to which components that you should check on board or off board.